Change is taboo for those who do not want shifts that may make them uncomfortable. Unfamiliar spaces make us feel like we’re out of control, therefore, causing us anxiety. What do we do when we are faced with changes? Not all changes are positive (or feel positive). What do we do when changes affect our mental health?
Think of these questions when you are faced with uncomfortable changes.
- How do I feel about this change?
- What does this change mean to me?
- How is this change affecting how I view or see this person, place, thing, or idea?
- Who am I in this change?
- Are ways I’m dealing with this change toxic to me or people around me?
- Who can I talk to in regards to this change?
- How can I live productively with this change?
- Is there a way to think about this change differently? Maybe in a way that benefits my growth?
- How do I move forward from this change?
- What are healthy ways to handle this change?
As we move and shift around in our daily lives, we will learn that change is inevitable, but sometimes we don’t know how to think about unfamiliar territory creeping into our comfort zone. What do we do? We challenge ourselves to use our changes to fuel our growth. We navigate those changes to help us and not hurt or hinder our progress.